Summer Safety Tips
Boughton Malherbe Parish Council
- Summer can cause a rise in ‘creeper burglaries’ where burglars take advantage of open gates, windows and doors left open for ventilation. Always close and lock your doors and windows when leaving your property, even if you’re just going into your back garden, as you may not hear someone coming through an open window or door at the front.
- Make sure any valuables are left out of sight in your house, shed and vehicles.
- Keep keys, money and bags away from the letterbox or cat flaps as thieves can hook valuables through small spaces.
- Lock sheds and garages, preferably not using a lock that burglars could use a screwdriver to open.
- Lock your bike inside a secure shed or garage, or to a robust fitting bolted to the ground or wall.
- If out in the evening or overnight, shut curtains and use a timer to automatically turn lights on at night to make it look as though you are at home.
- Don’t advertise that you are away from home on social media- this could indicate to a burglar that your property is empty.
- Don’t leave valuables unattended in your front or back garden, thieves can swipe them when you have your back turned or if you pop inside the house.
- Don’t leave your car unattended if you are cooling it down before your journey, this leaves your car vulnerable to thieves and it is an offence to leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.
- If you have brought a new lawn mower or other expensive items, don’t advertise this to potential thieves by putting the box out for collection at the roadside. Break the box down so that it fits in the recycling bin and cannot be seen.
- Don’t leave your garage door open in public view for passers-by to see its contents
- If your property backs on to a public area, consider investing in some ‘defensive planting’ – prickly shrubs or bushes to deter entry.
Find Boughton Malherbe Parish Council
Boughton Malherbe, Sandway, Kent